Atendendo a algumas respostas apreciativas e inúmeras ignorativas, aqui está......

07 junho 2011

Mileage may vary

The NYTimes states, in an otherwise impeccable editorial about fuel consumption standards, that

"actual highway mileage, as with all vehicles, is lower [than the EPA rating], in [the case of Ford Fusion S model with a rated mileage of 34.9 m.p.g.] about 27 m.p.g."

There is at least one exception to the rule. My 2002 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T is rated by the EPA at 21 miles per gallon city, 29 highway. I thought it was to 24-31, but Edmund's site has 21-29. In any case, my car runs about 30 miles per gallon in mixed driving, 28 in the city, and above 32 on the highway. A site called Buzztrader confirms my numbers.

I suspect that the EPA tests are designed to overstate mileage of cars with large engines and automatic transmissions, so perhaps they overestimate fuel usage of a turbo engine with manual transmission. Or maybe the red color causes an hitherto unsuspected Doppler effect on efficiency.

Um comentário:

Anônimo disse...

OR, and I know this IS the case, you and your family are lighter and leaner than an average US family.
hugs
sgold